CONGRATULATIONS to all the students, staff and Marvin Ridge Community for all of the following recent achievements:
- Received an NC Report Card Grade of "A" under the NC Ready Initiative! Read more...
Named an Honor School of Excellence for 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2102-2013 by State Department of Education ! 98.6% on/above grade level per EOC tests!! Read more...
- Community Read is sponsored by MRHS each summer - all staff and students read the book and we have a day of discussion and activities when school resumes in the fall; Community Read's have inlcuded The House of the Scorpion; Boy in the Striped Pajamas, The Hunger Games; choice of 3 books about the Sudan (ex. They Poured Fire on Us from the Sky); choice of five books about the Middle East (2013 Community Read); choice of five books about China and Chinese-Americans (2014 Community Read).
ConferenceWells Fargo Cup Winner -7 years in a row ! Read more...
- State Wells Fargo Cup Winner for 3A 2013-2014! Read more...
Finished 2nd in the State Wells Fargo Cup 2011-2013
- Read more about our Athletic program
- The best student section in UCPS - the Orange Crush!
- over 60 active clubs - Click here for more information about MRHS clubs for students
- Largest FBLA chapter in NC, with seven nationally placed students in 2013
- MRHS has a top-performing Speech and Debate program
- MRHS provides an Annual Leadership Workshop for Student Council and all club presidents
- The MRHS Chorus has performed at Carnegie Hall in NY in 2011 and has been invited to return
- The MRHS Band has performed in Dublin, Ireland for the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Our Theatre Arts program has produced performances such as Alice in Wonderland and Servant of Two Masters (2008-2009);The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Clue (2009-2010); Jungle Book and Godspell (2010-2011); Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Urinetown (2011-2012). In 2012-13, Charlotte's Web garnered local acclaim and the musical Once Upon a Mattress brought down the house. The Theatre Arts program was nominated for multiple "Blumey" Awards which recognize excellence in high school theatre.
- Read more about our Fine Arts program...
- Our ranking with US News and World Report Top Public High Schools (full report here).
- Our sister school connection to the High School Affliated to Nanjing Normal University in Nanjing, China
- Teachers of the Year: Kim Cooke (2007-2008), David Dahari (2008-2009), Sandra Tran (2009 - 2010), Mark Mennitt (2010 - 2011), Crystall Powell (2011 - 2012); Kelly Gates (2012-2013); Lindsey Arant (2013-2014); Matthew Montroy (2014-2015).
- Check out the area high school ratings by Charlotte Magazine.
- Hilliary Steere selected as the most Outstanding Marketing Teacher in NC 2008-09
- Troy Burns was inducted into the National Business and Technology Education Hall of Fame in 2012
- Winston Sims won a national award - Inspirational Theatre Educator Award for 2012
Here are some highights:
- Is currently the only IB (approved International Baccalaureate World School) in UCPS with a Diploma Programme whose succcess rate surpasses all national and world avaerages.
- Number of AP (Advanced Placement) courses offered
- Foreign Languages offered: Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Latin
- Distance Learning Program offering courses through the internet from NCVPS and Odysseyware (These resources are used to supplement a student's specific course needs)